With these instructions you will learn how to archive mailbox data in Outlook for Mac when using our Exchange email hosting service.
The archiving rule will move the email from the server to a
folder on your Mac and reduce the mailbox size on the exchange server.
Outlook 2011 for Mac
You would need to create Archive folder on the local computer. To un-hide On My Computer folder:
In Outlook 2011, click on the Outlook menu at the top of your screen, Select "Preferences", uncheck the box "Hide On My Computer Folders".
To create local archive folder right-click or (ctrl/click) on the "On My Computer", then select "New Folder".
Outlook 2016 for Mac
NOTE: The archive button is available on Exchange 2016.
To create an archive folder choose one or more messages that you would
like to archive, select "Archive" on the ribbon.
As soon as you choose
"Archive", you will get a prompt the "Archive" folder for "Microsoft" does not exist, to proceed click the "Continue"
The Archive folder will be automatically created.
To set up archiving rule
- In Outlook 2011 or 2016 for Mac, go to "Tools", then select "Rules".
The other option is to go to "Rules" from the ribbon and select "Edit rules".
- Select Exchange on the left pane menu and click
to add a new rule:
- Give the rule a name and specify the conditions using drop-down lists as follows:
- If all conditions are met: Selected.
- When a new message arrives: Date Received | is greater than | enter any number | days old.
- Do the following: Move Message | any folder on your computer.
- Do not apply other rules to messages that meet these conditions: Enabling this option is up to you and depends on your other rules.
The next window comes up, select types of items that should be included in the archive file, then click the "Continue" button.
NOTE: This rule may run a long time the first time you run it depending on your mailbox size.
The file should displayed the list of folders. If all items are in place, you may clean out the archive folder.